Family

Family

Thursday, January 19, 2017

S'mores Bars

Not very often do we have s'mores in the winter time unless we use the microwave but when Piper asked me this weekend for s'mores we decided to get some ingredients to make our delicious S'mores bars.  

The best part is that they are super simple to make and are tasty and delicious, and since they have cereal in them isn't it okay to eat them for breakfast?  I say yes, because I'm an adult and that's what adulting is all about!


We had a crazy ice storm warning this weekend that we were going to have where everyone would be stuck inside from Sunday night to Monday. Just like all the other crazy people in the city I went to the grocery store Sunday night before the storm to get all my essentials to be stuck inside for a good 12 hours.  

I mean what else do you need except some cereal, chocolate chips and stuff to make chocolate shakes?? 

I started with just a box of Golden Graham cereal, butter, and marshmallows*. 

*I used the big marshmallows this time just because I had 2 bags left in the cupboard, but normally I use the mini marshmallows and would recommend using the mini's as well.  They just melt more evenly.

Just like Rice Krispie bars, you start the same way so melt the butter and marshmallows in a large pot over medium low heat until all smooth.

Once the marshmallows are all incorporated with the butter and all smooth and melty, take off the heat and add in the cereal.


Stir until all incorporated and dump out onto a greased 9x13 pan.  Once I have spread it out with a spatula and the mixture has cooled a little, I tend to spray my hands with cooking oil and just use my hands to pack the mixture evenly in the pan.  It's just so much easier to use your hands sometimes.


When the ooey gooey cereal mixture has cooled a little, sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top and set it in the fridge to cool down completely. 



S'mores Bars
1/3 c. Butter
1 (16 oz.) bag Mini Marshmallows
1 (16 oz.) box Honey Graham Cereal
1/2 c. mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.  In a large soup/ stock pot add in the butter and mini marshmallows and cook on medium low heat until the marshmallows have melted. Make sure you are stirring constantly so it doesn't burn or brown.  Remove the marshmallow goodness from the heat and add in the box of Honey Graham cereal and stir together until all incorporated.  Pour cereal and marshmallow mixture out onto the 9x13 pan.  Using hands sprayed with cooking oil, spread out the mixture evenly in the pan.  When the mixture has cooled a little, add the mini chocolate chips and cool completely in the fridge.  Cut into squares and serve.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment